[Haskell-community] Request for comment: New haskell.org download page

Michael Snoyman michael at fpcomplete.com
Thu Sep 24 11:38:06 UTC 2015

It's not really a question of specific environments (though the situation
is worse on Windows). The main problem is that the presence of extra
packages in the global package database leads to lots of problems (usually
in the form of user confusion, since cabal-install warns them about
breaking things). In addition, the platform is currently only shipping with
cabal-install, and not with Stack, making the points I make in favor of
Stack's defaults (isolation-by-default, curation) relevant.

We can discuss the future when the HP is no longer shipping with global
packages and includes Stack in terms of my points above, but I think we
should save that for a separate thread once those changes land.