[Haskell-cafe] Issue building with ghc-9.8.2 and packages unix, directory, filepath and os-string

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri May 31 21:08:03 UTC 2024

The problem is that `--allow-newer` tells cabal to ignore dependencies'
upper bounds completely. If those bounds turn out to be necessary in some
cases, the solver will produce a bad build plan. Using finer-grained
(per-dependency) `--allow-newer` can avoid this by only permitting the
solver to ignore specific constraints.

On Fri, May 31, 2024 at 4:57 PM Daniel Trstenjak <daniel.trstenjak at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> > --allow-newer is a blunt instrument, not much surprise it fails. Use a
> more precise incantation: cabal build
> --allow-newer='cabal-bounds:*,cabal-lenses:*’ works fine for me.
>
> thanks for the hint, but how can this compile error occur if cabal can
> resolve the
> dependencies? I would‘ve thought, that the dependency resolution would
> fail before.
>
> Greetings,
> Daniel

brandon s allbery kf8nh