[Haskell-cafe] Preferred syntax for append

Mark McConnell mmcconnell17704 at yahoo.com
Tue May 14 17:59:30 UTC 2024

 Thanks to all who replied.   I will be changing <|> to <> .
    On Monday, May 13, 2024 at 03:05:48 AM EDT, Hécate via Haskell-Cafe <haskell-cafe at haskell.org> wrote:

Hi Mark,

Yes I would favour Rebecca's approach in her book to use Semigroup. Personally I never think of lists as Monads, as I see this instance useful only to power list comprehension.

Concatenation with (<>) is more meaningful and holds better semantics than (<|>), described as just "An associative binary operation".  It's so vague it could be the documentation for a Magma typeclass, and the name "Alternative" is quite loaded (we think especially of parsers when thinking/seeing Alternative).

 Cheers,

Hécate