[Haskell-cafe] Hackage: "Build: PlanningFailed"

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 15:39:15 UTC 2024

On Sun, Mar 31, 2024 at 11:30 AM Volker Wysk <post at volker-wysk.de> wrote:

> So what happens when a new GHC version is released? It depends on the
> version of the base package, which it ships. When the base package doesn't
> get an API-breaking change, then all is well.

There's an implicit contract that such major changes will be guarded behind
an epoch version bump, so you'll see many packages depending on `base < 5`.

> When it *does* have such a change, all the Hackage packages must be checked
> for compatibility with the new compiler version, and the upper bound of the
> base package version must be adjusted. That sounds like a lot of effort. It
> would be major happening in the Haskell community.

See https://ghc.gitlab.haskell.org/head.hackage/ . In short, a large
proportion of Hackage (I think corresponding to the most recent Stackage
LTS?) is tested regularly, and needed changes to packages are made as
overlays in head.hackage and submitted upstream before releases.

--
brandon s allbery kf8nh
allbery.b at gmail.com