[Haskell-cafe] Hackage: "Build: PlanningFailed"

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 14:51:04 UTC 2024

On Sun, Mar 31, 2024 at 6:51 AM Volker Wysk <post at volker-wysk.de> wrote:

> Why aren't all the base package versions available? I thought this was one
> of the purposes of the Cabal system...
>
> And wouldn't it be better to remove the upper bound entirely?

`base` is special, since it's tightly linked to the compiler (the compiler
hardcodes the addresses of key data types and values, such as `Bool` and
specifically `True` so it can compile guards). As such, it is impossible to
pick a different version of `base` for use with a given compiler version.

Removing the upper bound has the opposite problem: if `base` changes enough
(say, a wholesale change from `String` to `Text`, not that that seems
likely to happen in the near term) you will be claiming that your code is
compatible with it.

--
brandon s allbery kf8nh
allbery.b at gmail.com