[Haskell-cafe] Requesting For Comments for a new simple-dsp library

Tristan Cacqueray tdecacqu at redhat.com
Thu Mar 21 16:38:25 UTC 2024

Dear cafe and Dr. Henning Thielemann,

I'd like to propose a new package named simple-dsp. I couldn't figure
out how to use the existing dsp library, so I made my own version
featuring a little GUI to try the code in realtime.

I'd be happy to contribute this work directly to dsp. My goal is to be
able to extract sensible discrete values from a sound input at 60 Hz for
video production. I implemented low/band/high pass filters to compute 3
RMS volumes, but the values I'm getting are not sharp enough,
e.g. the band pass picks the low end. Ideally I would extract the
transient events of the percusive sound and the note pitch of the
melodic elements.

I have very little understanding of DSP, and I'm sure there are better
ways to achieve this goal, so I would appreciate it if someone more
experienced could take a look:

* Doc: https://tristancacqueray.github.io/simple-dsp/
* Candidate: https://hackage.haskell.org/package/simple-dsp-0.1/candidate
* Forum: https://discourse.haskell.org/t/rfc-a-new-simple-dsp-library/9094