[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] Copilot 3.19

Ivan Perez ivanperezdominguez at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 14:40:56 UTC 2024

Hi everyone!!

We are very excited to announce Copilot 3.19 [2]. Copilot is a stream-based
EDSL in Haskell for writing and monitoring embedded C programs, with an
emphasis on correctness and hard realtime requirements. Copilot is
typically used as a high-level runtime verification framework, and supports
temporal logic (LTL, PTLTL and MTL), clocks and voting algorithms.

Copilot is being used at NASA in drone test flights. Through the NASA tool
Ogma [1] (also written in Haskell), Copilot also serves as a runtime
monitoring backend for NASA's Core Flight System, Robot Operating System
(ROS2), and FPrime (the software framework used in the Mars Helicopter)
applications.

This release drastically increases the test coverage of copilot-core. We
also remove deprecated functions from copilot-core that had been renamed in
prior versions to comply with our style guide.

I'd also like to highlight major changes that were released in Copilot
3.18.1, which was not broadly announced: the C backend now produces code
that complies with MISRA C, we've introduced testing infrastructure for
copilot-libraries and copilot-theorem, fixed an issue with how arrays are
generated internally when used as arguments to triggers, fixed several bugs
related to testing, introduce compatibility with GHC 9.6, and introduce a
new function forAll to void clashes with the language keyword forall, which
is needed to be compatible with GHC >= 9.8 in future versions.

As always, we're releasing exactly 2 months since the last release. Our
next release is scheduled for May 7th, 2024.

Current emphasis is on improving the codebase in terms of stability and
test coverage, removing unnecessary dependencies, hiding internal
definitions, and formatting the code to meet our new coding standards. We
also plan to add extensions to the language to be able to updates arrays
and structs. Users are encouraged to participate by opening issues and
asking questions via our github repo [3].

Happy Haskelling!

Ivan

[1] https://github.com/nasa/ogma

[2] https://github.com/Copilot-Language/copilot/releases/tag/v3.19