[Haskell-cafe] Perl Regular Expressions

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Tue Jul 9 19:45:49 UTC 2024

There is an overview page for regular expression libraries in Haskell. [1]
However, the last substantial update is from 2014.

It seems that regex-pcre was quite popular, but it binds to the C library
libpcre which is being phased out in favor of pcre2. There are bindings to
pcre2 in the Hackage package pcre2, but there seems to be unresolved
low-level problems. [2]

I am looking for a package where speed is not top priority, but
compatibility to libpcre regular expressions. I think a plain Haskell
package would increase the chances of absence of memory bugs and
interfacing issues. According to the Wiki page Haskell-only
implementations seem to prefer Posix expressions over Perl ones.

[1] https://wiki.haskell.org/Regular_expressions
[2] https://github.com/sjshuck/hs-pcre2/issues/34