[Haskell-cafe] Hackage: "Build: PlanningFailed"

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Mon Apr 1 11:20:37 UTC 2024

Am Sonntag, dem 31.03.2024 um 18:22 +0100 schrieb Andrew Lelechenko:
> If triggering rebuild does not work immediately, remove documentation
> first and trigger rebuild afterwards.
>
> There are 4 build reports
> now: https://hackage.haskell.org/package/hsshellscript-3.6.2/reports/4,
> but the latest one fails because, as it seems, your package does not
> actually support GHC 9.6 and newer dependencies.

Yes, that's what it looks like. It's good that you noticed it.

I'm a Linux user (with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS). My GHC (8.8.4) comes with the
haskell-platform metapackage. GHC 9.8.2 should be included in Ubuntu 24.04
LTS. I see no easy way to get a running GHC 9.6. now, so I can fix it.

According to https://wiki.haskell.org/Base_package , my GHC version, 8.8.4,
should have been released between Jul 2019 and Mar 2020. That's way before
my Ubuntu 22.04 distribution. I don't get it, why such an old version is
being shipped. The ghc version in the newest Ubuntu (23.10) is old too...

So for now, I'll change the upper bound of the base package version back to
4.14 and support only GHC 8.8. Until I have a running Haskell platform with
the newest GHC version again. Looks like I have to install it manually, not
via apt.

Cheers,
Volker