[Haskell-cafe] property testing, point-free style

Li-yao Xia lysxia at gmail.com
Wed May 31 13:06:26 UTC 2023

Hi Olaf,

You might like quickcheck-higherorder, "A QuickCheck extension for
properties of higher-order values."

https://hackage.haskell.org/package/quickcheck-higherorder

One of the key bits is a class for testable equality, which may have an
instance for (a -> b), unlike Eq:

|class TestEq a where (=?) :: a -> a -> Property |||

The package has more bells and whistles to further streamline writing
properties that quantify over functions.

If you only ever compare unary first-order functions, you really only
need the single instance TestEq (a -> b), which you can extract as a
self-contained operator:

(=?) :: (Coarbitrary a, Show a, Arbitrary b, Eq b, Show b) => (a -> b)
-> (a -> b) -> Property
(=?) f g = property $ \x -> f x === g x

Regards,
Li-yao