[Haskell-cafe] Searching for dependent code

Jeffrey Brown jeffbrown.the at gmail.com
Fri May 26 14:45:51 UTC 2023

I don't know what the state of the art is, but for chasing down a tree of
dependencies to determine what needs to be rebuilt, there's always make.
Usually a human hand-codes the dependencies of each file in the Makefile --
but if you could automate that, make could do the rest.

Note also that shake is a make alternative written in Haskell, with (gross
understatement here) better syntax.

On Fri, May 26, 2023 at 9:16 AM Geraldus <heraldhoi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, dear Cafe!
>
> I have a mono repository and would like to do the following for CI:
> - take the files from the commit
> - Find all the code that depends on them explicitly or implicitly
> - make a list of executable files that need to be rebuilt
>
> This happens in CI and there is no cache of previous builds. Note that
> dependencies may not be direct, e.g:
> - there are packages A, B, C.
> - C depends only on B
> - B depends on A
> - C should be rebuilt if there were changes in A
>
> Can you please tell me if there is any ready-made solution for this?

Jeff Brown | Jeffrey Benjamin Brown
LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffreybenjaminbrown>   |   Github
<https://github.com/jeffreybenjaminbrown>   |   Twitter
<https://twitter.com/carelogic>  |  Facebook