[Haskell-cafe] Take-over request for: snappy

Andrey Prokopenko persiantiger at yandex.ru
Mon Mar 6 20:05:18 UTC 2023

Hello,

- Few months ago Andrew Martin opened PR in `snappy`: https://github.com/bos/snappy/pull/10 <https://github.com/bos/snappy/pull/10>
- The package is either direct or transient dependency for `tensorflow`, `kafka-client` and few more packages.
- While forks maintenance is a well-known practice it creates burden on maintainers.
- Moreover, I cannot easily fix cabal build for tensorflow for different GHC versions.

Note for Bryan: I haven’t forked `snappy` so there will be no name clashes during the transfer.

I would like to become a maintainer for `snappy` package and keep it up-to-date at least for a next few years.

I have already followed that procedure a few years ago for `blaze-textual` package. (Recently I discovered a flaw in my maintenance setup and fixed it.)
So my intent is to resolve recent PRs and to keep supporting for newer compiler versions and build tools.

Please consider this message as a step 2 in take-over procedure: https://wiki.haskell.org/Taking_over_a_package <https://wiki.haskell.org/Taking_over_a_package>

Kind Regards,
Andrey Prokopenko