[Haskell-cafe] Course materials to help me teach Software Engineering with Haskell?

Ignat Insarov kindaro at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 15:19:29 UTC 2023

Hello café!

I am looking for some kind of lesson plans, lecture notes or other
inspiring materials that would help me construct an advanced course in
Software Engineering with Haskell — or other pure functional
technologies — with the aim to teach this art to myself and others to
the highest level of excellence.

I know there is a choice of published books with «Haskell» in the
title, and I shall draw from them. However, I am not super happy about
any of the books I looked into so far, because they are so concrete.
They would pick a bunch of best practices and some well known
libraries and write about that in excruciating detail. It seems a
published book cannot afford to say anything abstract or outlandish.

Assorti lecture notes I could find on the Internet are more diverse
and fresh, but I have not found many and whichever I found are all
somewhat beginner level, they talk about Haskell's syntax and
evaluation more than about Software Engineering overall.

The stuff I wish to see would be like:

* Continuation passing style.
* Recursion schemes.
* Polynomial functors.
* The nature of `IO`.
* Evaluation of Haskell on a graph machine.
* The expression problem.

In short, stuff that transcends specific libraries and concrete code.

In the ideal, I wish there was a literature review that refers to
foundational research.

I do not expect ready-made perfection; please send me whatever you
think would help, even your brief thoughts and wishes.