[Haskell-cafe] type error when specializing lens zooms in ghc >= 9.0

Olaf Klinke olf at aatal-apotheke.de
Thu Jun 1 21:58:47 UTC 2023

On Thu, 2023-06-01 at 17:55 +0300, Bryan Richter wrote:
> And in case it proves intractable to provide concise, useful error
> messages, perhaps having entries at https://errors.haskell.org (with
> examples!) would also be helpful.

The thing is, the error message is rather general, which was my
original complaint. I haven't got a GHC-9.6.1 installation, so what is
the error code when compiling the following minimal example? More
importantly, how many situations completely unrelated to simplified
subsumption produce the same error code? If there are many such
situations, then making the errors.haskell.org entry of the error code
point to simplified subsumption would mislead too many programmers,
wouldn't it?

{-# LANGUAGE RankNTypes #-}

type Void = forall t. t

{-- does compile with ghc < 9 but not with ghc >= 9,
    error message is of the form

    Couldn't match type <concrete type> with
    <Rank-2 type that unifies with <concrete type>
    by specializing universally quantified type variables>
--}
final :: Void -> ()
final = (id :: () -> ())

-- eta-expanded version of final,
-- does compile with ghc >= 9
finalEta :: Void -> ()
finalEta x = id x

Having produced this example, I do acknowledge that simplified
subsumption is an improvement. The fact that ghc 8 did accept the
equation final=id is indeed weird.

Olaf