[Haskell-cafe] Musings on lists

MigMit migmit at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 22:51:06 UTC 2023

xs ++ ys is just a thunk, but only the first time you "request" it. Afterwards it is a real list. More correctly, due to the lazy nature of Haskell, it's actually part list, part "thunk". Basically, if you do [1,2,3] ++ [4,5,6], and then "request" some elements from it, it's going to be like this:

thunk (++) {arguments: 1:2:3:[] and 4:5:6:[]}

| Requesting first element
1 : thunk (++) {arguments: 2:3:[] and 4:5:6:[]}

| Requesting second element
1 : 2 : thunk (++) {arguments: 3:[] and 4:5:6:[]}

| Requesting first element again
1 : 2 : thunk (++) {arguments: 3:[] and 4:5:6:[]} -- no change

| Requesting fifth element
1 : 2 : 3 : 4 : 5: 6 : [] -- at this point those "4:5:6:[]" are exactly the same as "4:5:6:[]" from the second argument.