[Haskell-cafe] incomplete-uni-patterns

Thomas Jakway thomasjakway1 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 03:02:34 UTC 2023

Just a miscellaneous Haskell user, but that also sounds good to me.

I definitely support having a way to tell the compiler at the most
specific level possible (per line, in this case) that the author is
intentionally doing this and not to warn about it.

I wrote in scala for years and was always unhappy that for a very long
time the designers refused to support [1] ( a scala version of Java's
@SuppressWarnings annotation. The suggested hack for about a decade was
to use a compiler plugin.

Unrelated/on the importance of warning about the right things:

Thinking about this made me remember that C's switch
fall-through-by-default behavior is so bad that you need to tell the
compiler you actually want to do that. [2] [3]

[1]
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3506370/is-there-an-equivalent-to-suppresswarnings-in-scala

[2] https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/code-quality/c26819?view=msvc-170

[3] https://en.cppreference.com/w/c/language/attributes/fallthrough