[Haskell-cafe] Why can't I bind unlifted values at the top level?

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Sun Jan 22 06:10:37 UTC 2023

Indeed that is the ticket.

There is one wrinkle that I should have mentioned earlier: not even all data constructor applications are admissible at the top level. In particular, constructors with strict fields may require computation to construct. The validity check would need to account for this, either by rejecting such constructors altogether or by having some of syntactic WHNF check.

Cheers,

- Ben