[Haskell-cafe] Move on with the takeover of unix-compat [Re: Takeover request: unix-compat]

Andreas Abel andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
Mon Feb 20 08:44:47 UTC 2023

On 2023-02-15 21:46, Ben Franksen wrote:
> Am 05.02.23 um 16:52 schrieb Mitchell Rosen:
>> Hi all, I'd like to take over maintenance responsibility for the
>> `unix-compat` package. Unfortunately, I've been unable to get in touch
>> with
>> the maintainer.
>>
>> I intend to make a release compatible with `unix-2.8`, and will be around
>> to make subsequent bounds bumps and whatnot.
>
> Hi Mitchell, I made some contributions to unix-compat over the years and
> found that the current maintainer, while sometimes a bit slow to respond
> to PRs, is actually quite responsive when prompted via email. (Just a
> data point, not to suggest you haven't tried that.)

@Ben, this might have been so in the past, but recent evidence suggests
otherwise.

- I alerted Jacob of the situation over a month ago by email, here is
the log for this:

https://github.com/jacobstanley/unix-compat/issues/63#issuecomment-1386676351

- His profile https://github.com/jacobstanley does not even include an
email address.  I had to hunt down an email address by searching the web
for possible matches.

Because unix-compat is quite important for the Haskell ecosystem and (is
already not maintained by the original authors), I think we should find
a solution quickly and move on with the package takeover.

It is anyway good if important packages have co-maintainers that can
fill the gap should the current maintainer be unavailable for a longer
period of time.

@Mitchell:  I think the waiting time has now passed and you can contact
the Hackage admins to add you to the maintainers of unix-compat on Hackage.

Cheers,
Andreas