[Haskell-cafe] IOSim on Hackage

coot at coot.me coot at coot.me
Sat Aug 26 10:58:52 UTC 2023

If it comes to exception handling, we follow `base` rather than `safe-execeptions` package (there's a trade-off between async exceptions vs deadlocks, as safe exceptions is using `uninterruptibleMask`).  But one can always create a type class which provide the same semantics as `safe-exceptions` do (think of `io-classes` as a description of interface which `base` provides).

We provide instances for `ReaderT` transformer in `io-classes`,  instances for some other transformers are provided in a more experimental package `io-classes-mtl` (we don't use it in production).

> All in all, dejafu expects (or simulates) MonadConc according to > the base behavior (unsurprisingly). So MonadConc would need to be > banished into some internal layer of unliftio (in some unlfitio-concurrency package?), which sounds like a rather tedious work (but > maybe not impossible).

Some monad transformers are not really well suited for concurrency, e.g. `StateT` is one example.  One would need a strategy for merging state when something like `concurrently` finishes.  There's `lifted-async` on Hackage, but we were not convinced that it's the right choice. I did experiment with this a bit, but unfortunately I wasn't able to find the branch now.

> A follow-up question: what is the approach with using third-party libraries that operate in terms of plain IO?
One would need to generalise the library to be polymorphic over `IO`.  One example we have is the `MonadST` (https://hackage.haskell.org/package/io-classes-1.2.0.0/docs/Control-Monad-Class-MonadST.html#t:MonadST).  So for MonadUnliftIO this could be:
```
class MonadUnliftIO m io where ...
```
where `m` has the same meaning but `io` is either `IO` or `IOSim`; Alternatively `io` could be captured as an associated type family.

Cheers,
Marcin

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.