[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] Yampa 0.14.2, yampa-gloss 0.2.1, haskanoid 0.1.6, and more

Ivan Perez ivanperezdominguez at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 23:49:57 UTC 2023

Hello everyone,

I'm super excited to announce the release of Yampa 0.14.2! This release
also comes with accompanying releases of many related projects:
yampa-test (0.14.2), simple-affine-space (0.2.1), yampa-gloss (0.2.1),
Space Invaders (0.14.2), and Haskanoid (0.1.6).

Yampa is a fast, elegant Functional Reactive Programming
implementation. Yampa prides itself in being a long-standing community
project. It has now been around for 20 years!!! See
https://github.com/ivanperez-keera/yampa#features for details on
Yampa's features.

This release has address mainly styling issues. All library code now
conforms to the main rules of the style guide we follow (which is
publicly documented).  We've also addressed other minor maintenance
issues, like compatibility with new versions of GHC and some
dependencies, installation and CI issues, fixes to the README, and
pointers to related community projects. In total, there have been more
than 400 commits!

Special thanks go to Miao ZhiCheng (@hellwolf) for a generous donation
towards this release, and to @johannes-riecken for a regular
contribution to support the Yampa project.

All the projects listed above have been released in sync. For details,
see:

- https://github.com/ivanperez-keera/Yampa/releases/tag/v0.14.2

- https://github.com/ivanperez-keera/yampa-gloss/releases/tag/v0.2.1

- https://github.com/ivanperez-keera/simple-affine-space/releases/tag/v0.2.1

- https://github.com/ivanperez-keera/SpaceInvaders/releases/tag/v0.14.2

- https://github.com/ivanperez-keera/haskanoid/releases/tag/v0.1.6

You can explore the current versions at:

- https://hackage.haskell.org/package/Yampa

- https://hackage.haskell.org/package/yampa-test

- https://hackage.haskell.org/package/yampa-gloss

- https://hackage.haskell.org/package/simple-affine-space

- https://hackage.haskell.org/package/SpaceInvaders

- https://hackage.haskell.org/package/haskanoid

*Code*

The github repos are located at:

- https://github.com/ivanperez-keera/Yampa/

- https://github.com/ivanperez-keera/yampa-gloss/

- https://github.com/ivanperez-keera/simple-affine-space/

- https://github.com/ivanperez-keera/SpaceInvaders/

- https://github.com/ivanperez-keera/haskanoid/

*What's coming*

This release comes exactly 2 months after the last release. The next
release is planned for Jun 7, 2023.

There are several issues open that you can contribute in each project's
issue tracker:

Following our roadmap, the pending changes remain as follows:

- Removal of unnecessarily exposed elements from the interface (e.g.,
  FRP.Yampa.Arrow.arr3) that are not used and belong in other
  libraries. This topic is open to discussion.

- Benchmarks: Facilitate making sound, evidence-based decisions about
  suggested improvements to the implementation, by completing a series
  of benchmarks.

- New mailing list: We will in the future lose access to Yale's CS
  department-based mailman list, and are thinking of the best place to
  move the mailing list to.

*Donations*

Our project is now seeking donations to help continue developing Yampa,
create new open source libraries, new material, and give talks.

Github will match the first 5K donated, so if you donate $1/month,
github will donate the same amount.

No donation is too small. Any contribution will absolutely help.

See https://github.com/sponsors/ivanperez-keera for details.

If you can help, please come forward.

All the best,

Ivan