[Haskell-cafe] log, exp, (**), and non-negative real numbers

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Tue Apr 4 16:26:43 UTC 2023

On Tue, Apr 04, 2023 at 05:50:41AM -1000, Will Yager wrote:

> If you end up coming up with a nice library design, you may want to
> generalize these operations from Double-valued logarithms to
> conversions between a Lie group and its corresponding Lie algebra.

Abstracting from the positive reals to (possibly non-abelian, complex?)
Lie groups is a rather steep generalisation.  Is there no useful
intermediate step?

Or is it the case here that the most general form is also the simplest
(does away with inessential details that distract from the core
concepts)?

I do recall that for me at one point Calculus in Banach spaces was
easier to understand than Calculus in R^3.  The generalisation was
cleaner.

--
    Viktor.