[Haskell-cafe] Can this be made to fuse?

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 18:13:53 UTC 2022

The recursion is the first barrier. The whole thing ends up a loop breaker.
Using `fix` fixes that, but it still doesn't fuse for some reason. After I
sent this, I realized that foldl' is really the wrong thing, since that
builds up a large Q action that, when run, produces the expression. The
nicer thing is to use foldM within Q, and wrap mfix around that. I'm still
not seeing fusion with that, and I wonder if that's because of the
complexity of the Q type with its higher-rank constrained polymorphism and
such.