[Haskell-cafe] Props to cpphs; why so little used?

Anthony Clayden anthony.d.clayden at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 01:19:21 UTC 2022

Thank you to the author and maintainers of cpphs
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/cpphs

It has tightly-focussed functionality for what I wanted to do: a more
haskell-friendly counterpart to cpp.

How to get it to behave as I wanted wasn't always obvious. I made some
notes  https://stackoverflow.com/a/73768057/2840542

Haskell libraries generally use cpp -- and then users complain how awkward
it can be. I don't see that cpp does anything better/different vs cpphs --
that is, cpphs understands all the #if compiler_version logic. Then why
isn't every library preferring cpphs?

AntC