[Haskell-cafe] Updating the description of the mailing list?

Bryan b at chreekat.net
Tue Oct 25 06:01:21 UTC 2022

description states:

    This mailing list is for the discussion of topics related to
    Haskell. The volume may at times be high, as the scope is broader
    than the main Haskell mailing list. Discussions on the Haskell
    mailing list which have drifted off topic, or are only of interest
    to a small number of subscribers, will be asked to move to
    Haskell-Cafe.

This implies that Haskell-Cafe is a place for off-topic discussions.

In practice, haskell at haskell.org is unused and haskell-cafe at haskell.org
*is* the Haskell mailing list.

Could the description be changed to simply be the first sentence? "This
mailing list is for the discussion of topics related to Haskell."

---

This request comes from an effort to point potential new contributors to
Haskell resources. Specifically, I'm editing
https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/wikis/mailing-lists-and-irc. I
wanted to add a link to haskell-cafe. While sanity-checking the URL, I
read the description of the list and got momentarily confused: Should I
actually be subscribed to haskell@ instead? But then after checking the
archives, I remembered why I unsubscribed from that list many years ago.

If it was confusing for me, I assume it would be confusing for newcomers
as well.

-Bryan