[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] faster-megaparsec

Olaf Klinke olf at aatal-apotheke.de
Fri Nov 11 15:50:56 UTC 2022

Emily wrote:

> Do you provide reproducible benchmarks for these claims? I'd love to
> see the outcome for various types of projects to make the choice for
> myself.
>
> Unsubstantiated claims of "This is Faster™️" are the path to shame
> and treachery.

Version 0.1.2 now includes a CSV Benchmark.
The benchmark generates random table layouts of up to 50 columns and
decodes two named columns in 100000 lines.

Speed-up on my machine is roughly 0.7x over ParsecT and 0.6x over
Cassava when decoding only few columns of a broad table. In particular,
a Text-based ParsecT is faster than (ByteString-based) Cassava in this
scenario. This was also the initial reason why I got interested in
improving performance of megaparsec parsers in the first place.

Cheers,
Olaf