[Haskell-cafe] cabal v2 global install status

Fendor power.walross at gmail.com
Thu May 5 10:28:37 UTC 2022

Hi!

Ivan Perez wrote:
 > It made installation of Haskell packages for newbies easier too:
create a sandbox. mess around in it, and if you want to start over, just
erase .cabal-sandbox. Done!

Just chiming saying that I dont agree with this. I don't know a single
person from my personal life who managed to use the sandbox successfully.
Quite contrary, personally, I used to be a flaming stack advocate
because I was never able to use cabal for anything.
 From my point of view, cabal's sandbox was a weird mess that was hard
to understand. Also, stateful mutations seem much more complicated and
error-prone to me.

Ivan Perez wrote:
 > the fact that v2-install --lib has not always worked well for me.

I agree that `v2-install -lib` is a terrible interface, but cabal-env
shows how we can implement the desired functionality quite beautifully,
avoiding as much as stateful changes as possible.

Ivan Perez wrote:
 > This workflow (installing packages in a store in the project
directory) should be not just supported, but /encouraged/. Keeping all
changes local /should be the default/.

I don't think this should be the default, in my opinion optimising the
installation times, etc... is, especially for newcomers, what we usually
want. You yourself said that you use this on very large projects, so,
isn't it more reasonable to make experts jump through the extra hoop,
e.g. by using cabal-env, to get the workflow you want?

Best regards,
Fendor