[Haskell-cafe] cabal v2 global install status

amindfv at mailbox.org amindfv at mailbox.org
Wed May 4 16:31:35 UTC 2022

I'm very comfortable using cabal's `v2-` nix-style local builds at home and at work, but on a personal machine at home I've clung to `v1-install` because I _really_ like the ability to choose which packages are available in a simple `ghci` session.

For a long time that's been impossible or painful with the `v2-` commands. What's the status these days? I'm particularly interested in how it works for packages that only exist locally without a Hackage server.

(Please note that while I'm open to hearing that it's impossible or only possible with workarounds/hacks, I'm not particularly looking for a discussion on whether it's "wrong" to want this feature.)

Thanks!
Tom