[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] Yampa 0.13.5

Ivan Perez ivanperezdominguez at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 01:03:47 UTC 2022

Dear all,

I'm happy to announce the release of Yampa 0.13.5!

Yampa is a fast, elegant FRP library that enforces a separation between
effects (e.g., user input, rendering) and FRP signal function
specifications.Yampa prides itself in being a long-standing community
project. It's now been around for almost 20 years!!! In all this time,
it has enjoyed abundant use in research, in open source, and in
industry.

* Summary of changes

- Tests in the yampa-test library have now been reorganized to follow
  the same structure of Yampa. This change will make it easier to
  identify what tests are missing. A summary has been produced as part
  of an issue [1].

- A less-known feature of Yampa is that applicative style is also
  supported, and renders programs reminiscent of classic FRP. To make
  Yampa more inviting to users who prefer such style, the descriptions
  in the package, README and main module have been adapted so that they
  do not suggest that arrows syntax or the arrow-based interface is the
  only available or even preferred style.

- Tabs will now produce a compilation error.

- Multiple maintenance fixes (fix broken links in documentation, remove
  unnecessary imports, style fixes, etc.).

As always, Yampa and yampa-test are released in sync. The CHANGELOGs are
available at:
https://github.com/ivanperez-keera/Yampa/blob/develop/yampa/CHANGELOG
https://github.com/ivanperez-keera/Yampa/blob/develop/yampa-test/CHANGELOG

* Releases

You can explore the current versions at:
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/Yampa
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/yampa-test

* Code

The github repo is located at:
https://github.com/ivanperez-keera/Yampa

* Upcoming changes

We are discussing an upcoming change that may affect users. We are
interested in knowing if/how this would affect you (if at all).

- Addition of new constraint to integral/derivative: The VectorSpace
  implementation we are using imposes the Eq and Floating constraints on
  vector spaces, but they have turned out not to be necessary. An
  alternative implementation is being proposed [2], which removes those
  constraints, and gives default implementations for some functions that
  meet some type constraints. This change would require adapting the
  code of integral, derivative and some related functions to impose an
  additional type constraint. We expect most user code to be compatible,
  but the change is, technically, API-breaking. This topic is open to
  discussion, we invite interested users to come forward.

* Other notes:

We have a plan for the upcoming releases. Check out the project issues
or message me if you are interested in participating.

https://github.com/ivanperez-keera/Yampa/issues

All the best,

Ivan

[1] https://github.com/ivanperez-keera/Yampa/issues/217