[Haskell-cafe] Explicit type signatures and wrappers / impedance-matching

Benjamin Redelings benjamin.redelings at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 19:42:14 UTC 2022

Hi Richard,

Thanks for asking!  Yes, I'm making forward progress.  The feedback is
appreciated, as I am not always sure which things I am struggling with
are silly questions and which ones are hard questions.

Here is my understanding so far -- please chime in if anything is
obviously wrong here:

I. So, an AbsBinds contains a collection of bindings that could be
mutually recursive.  It has constraints "theta" and quantifies over type
variables "qtvs" [1].  It also contains "evidence bindings" that explain
how to construct dictionaries that are needed from dictionary arguments.

An AbsBinds can contain multiple bindings, for example if we have two
mutually recursive functions with no type signatures. However, a
recursive group can be split into multiple separate AbsBinds if type
signatures allow breaking some of the dependencies.  Each binding inside
the AbsBinds has a type "monotype" (from tcMonoBinds) before we generalize.

Then, for each binding, we end up with two different types:

1. The more quantified type for each binder

     forall qtvs. theta => monotype

This is what we get if we include ALL the type variables and ALL the
predicates that will end up in the AbsBinds.

2. The actual type for each binder, that includes only SOME of the type
variables and SOME of the predicates.

This is given either by

2a: an explicit type signature

2b: selecting some of the type variables some_qtvs and predicates
some_predicates in chooseInferredQuantifiers.  We'd end up with

     forall some_qtvs. some_predicates => monotype

For example, if we have (f,g) = (\x->x, \y->y+2), then we don't want

     f :: forall a b.Num b => a -> a

we just want

     f :: a -> a

The first type is the more quantified type, and the second type is the
actual type.

Then, in order to handle the difference between these two types, we call
`tcSubTypeSigma actual_type more_quantified_type`, which

(i) checks to see that we can get `actual_type` out of
`more_quantified_type` by constraining it somehow.

(i) returns an HsWrapper that, does the actually constraining.

It may (I think) eliminate predicates by defaulting, and it can
eliminate types by substituting an ANY type, at least sometimes. This
wrapper is stored inside abe_wrap field of ABE objects, inside the
abs_exports field of the AbsBinds.

II. I am still not completely sure how the wrapper is actually applied
in code generation, or how the wrapper is computed from the two types.
But, I'm not quite done reading yet.

For example, in the case above, suppose that `tuple` represents all
combined binders inside the AbsBinds, and is quantified by ALL the type
variables and ALL the (given) dictionaries.  One approach would be
something like:

tuple = /\a./\b.\(dNum :: Num b). let ...CODE... in (f,g)

f' = /\a./\b.\(dNum :: b). case (tuple @a @b dNum) of f

f = /\a. f' @a @ANY dNum = apply wrapper to f' ?

In that approach, then we would FIRST extract an "f'" from the tuple
without applying any wrapper.  Then, SECOND, we would SECOND apply the
wrapper to f' to get f.

III. I am also still working through tcMonoBinds.  I'm curious what
happens in a pattern binding, when the pattern has a type signature with
predicates:

f:: forall a.Num a -> a->a->a

(f,g) = ...rhs...

It looks like the type signature for gets instantiated on the LHS,
and.... I presume the predicate Num a is added to the local instance
environment, just like if f was instantiated on the RHS?   I will think
about this more...

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement.  I am not stuck, yet...

All this does make me think that, perhaps, some kind of updated version
of Typing Haskell in Haskell would be appropriate.  I'm not sure how
much of this is in the Report, either.

-BenRI

[1] Determined in tcPolyInfer by calling simpliferInfer