[Haskell-cafe] Debugging a test suite freeze

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 04:15:47 UTC 2022

I don't see anything about test suites freezing/looping in that
ticket. Did you mean a different one? Note: it seems pretty clear that
my test suite is *not* looping: when it freezes, the process doesn't
burn CPU or memory. It seems there's a deadlock somewhere, but it's
all *extremely* mysterious to me. Most mysteriously, only the last
test case seems to lead to this problem, and it does so even when
*dramatically* simplified in various ways (e.g., if I just `liftIO
(print s)` instead of traversing with an arbitrary function, and then
finish off with `3 === 3`). It would be easy to believe that the
problem was in my Hedgehog test case generation code if not for the
fact that it works reliably on all versions of GHC from 7.8 through
9.2! So either something is wrong with GHC 9.4 or using 9.4 is getting
me a bad version of some dependency.