[Haskell-cafe] Haskell SQL backends: How is data handed over?

Olaf Klinke olf at aatal-apotheke.de
Fri Aug 12 20:37:59 UTC 2022

Anthony Clayden wrote:

> What is your evidence that number/String is a concern here? It's all
> happening in-memory.
>
> Whereas sending whatever to SQL then needs putting it to disk, which is
> orders-of-magnitude slower. (Or is this an in-memory database?)
>
> This thread has already devoted more cycles to speculation than you're
> going to reclaim through number formatting, methinks.

Very good point. I'm fairly new to SQL, have a solution that works and
started to wonder how efficient it is. Since the way data is passed to
and from the DB engine affects every database interaction, for every
user, I thought it might be worthwile investigating. And as I said
earlier, profiling other code has proved that number parsing can make
up a significant portion of a data-heavy program's CPU time. Thus it's
not speculation entirely.

Olaf