[Haskell-cafe] Just released: cabal 3.8.1.0

Artem Pelenitsyn a.pelenitsyn at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 23:58:05 UTC 2022

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Mikolaj Konarski <mikolaj at well-typed.com>
Date: Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 7:05 PM
Subject: Just released: cabal 3.8.1.0
To: <cabal-devel at haskell.org>

Here's the happy news. :) Let me copy below the contents of the
announcement  from

https://discourse.haskell.org/t/just-released-cabal-3-8-1-0/4920

but, additionally, on this mailing list I'd like to personally thank
Emily and Oleg who, among all the giants on whose shoulders we stand,
have most directly affected 3.8.1.0 with their hearts and wisdom.
Haskell community owes you big time.

---

I’m proud to announce 3.8.1.0 version of Cabal the library and
cabal-install the tool. It’s the fruit of concerted effort of
innumerous collaborators, from users, through developers, to mentors,
caretakers and administrators of our linked community and
infrastructure sections. You, people, rock.

This version works with the just released GHC 9.4.1 (in fact, for
Windows it’s probably necessary) and is already available form GHCup
and other channels. More technical details, APIs, changelogs and
regressions can be found at Release cabal v3.8.1.0 · haskell/cabal ·
GitHub.

The release is huge, so let me mention only a few random highlights:

public/private sublibraries are fully supported and no longer
experimental (6. Package Description — Cabal 3.8.1.0 User's Guide)
you can now put in your cabal.project something like import:
https://www.stackage.org/lts-18.5/cabal.config and it works (7.
cabal.project Reference — Cabal 3.8.1.0 User's Guide)
new Cabal-syntax and cabal-install-solver packages have been split off
there’s no more confusion of compiler options for the local code and
for the dependencies (https://github.com/haskell/cabal/pull/7973)
one can now define code generators in test stanzas, which is one more
principled step away from Custom Setups
(https://github.com/haskell/cabal/pull/7688)

Cabal badly needs your feedback and your contributions. Please keep them
coming.