[Haskell-cafe] canonicalization of interval libraries

Olaf Klinke olf at aatal-apotheke.de
Wed Sep 29 20:58:03 UTC 2021

Emily Pillmore wrote:
> Hello Haskell!
>
> I'm pleased to announce that the Core Libraries Committee Elections for September 2021 have concluded, and we have selected 2 new CLC members:
>
> - [Andrew Lelechenko]( https://github.com/Bodigrim )
>
> - [Melanie Brown]( https://github.com/bi-functor )

I could not help but notice that both new members have either written
or contributed to an interval library. There are a handful out there
(disclaimer: I have written one of them) but as far as I know there is
no de-facto standard.
Why is that? Is it because the applications of intervals are too
diverse and hence no single type fits all? Or is it because it is such
a niche application that no single library could gather enough
traction? I'm curious whether others see the need to have a de-facto
standard interval library that is both general and performant, as we
are used to from our "core libraries".

Judging from the number of downloads on hackage, people are mostly
interested in intervals of floating point numbers and intervals of
time.

Olaf

P.S. Yes, I am aware of the relevant xkcd comic on standards.