[Haskell-cafe] Field types

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 17:42:53 UTC 2021

Well, there is already an extension that turns off selector-as-function,
although I don't recall the name off the top of my head. I am not sure
there's a way to access such fields as this at all if you use it, since
e.g. HasField probably doesn't let you do types by constructor name.

On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 1:21 PM David Feuer <david.feuer at gmail.com> wrote:

> In that hypothetical context, the field name wouldn't be usable as a
> function—at least without future Dependent Haskell.
>
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2021, 1:19 PM Tom Ellis <
> tom-lists-haskell-cafe-2017 at jaguarpaw.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 01:13:43PM -0400, David Feuer wrote:
>> > Does one field name for one datatype always refer to a field with the
>> same
>> > type? Or is there some wacky extension that would allow things like
>> >
>> > data Foo
>> >   = Bar { zoom :: Int }
>> >   | Baz { zoom :: Char }
>> >
>> > I'm hoping I don't have to worry about the latter possibility....
>>
>> Me too!  Under such circumstances what would the type of
>> field-as-function be?

brandon s allbery kf8nh
allbery.b at gmail.com