[Haskell-cafe] Haskell-Cafe Digest, Vol 217, Issue 16

Richard Eisenberg lists at richarde.dev
Mon Sep 20 00:24:33 UTC 2021

> On Sep 17, 2021, at 1:11 PM, Tom Ellis <tom-lists-haskell-cafe-2017 at jaguarpaw.co.uk> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 05:02:09PM +0000, Richard Eisenberg wrote:
>>
>> For me, coming from a mostly Java background (but with a healthy
>> dollop of functional programming thrown in the mix -- but no
>> Haskell), the phrase that unlocked monads was "programmable
>> semicolon".
>
> I'm curious what "unlock" means here.

It's hard to be sure, as this was ~10 years ago, but I think it was about motivation for me. Specifically: why do we need more than one monad, IO. I understood that Haskell functions were pure, and thus could produce no side effects. So we needed to have *some* way of having a program interact with the world. This way was the set of functions that work in the IO monad. These operations need a way of interacting with pure code (i.e. `return`) and some way of sequencing (i.e. >>=). This was all clear enough. What I didn't understand is why there was a typeclass to capture this or why we needed other monads -- until I associated "monad" with "programmable semicolon". At that point, I realized that the idea is very powerful.

Richard