[Haskell-cafe] On finding the right exposition...

Bryan Richter b at chreekat.net
Sat Sep 18 09:15:40 UTC 2021

I started learning Haskell by reading the Report, and I warmly recommend
that strategy. In particular, I just skipped over the terminology that
didn't make sense to me yet, and I didn't try too hard to keep the big
picture in my head (suggestion to future versions: put all the BNF diagrams
in the same place!)

Even with a rudimentary read-through, I was already advanced beyond the
likes of LYAH and ready to start running simple programs in ghci. Even
today I sometimes know things about syntax that surprise my colleagues.

I didn't need to know monads yet. The build tool challenges were a bigger
stumbling block at that point.

But best of all, I was familiar with the reference material, so I could
easily go back and reread things when necessary!