[Haskell-cafe] Better writing about Haskell through multi-metaphor learning

Tom Ellis tom-lists-haskell-cafe-2017 at jaguarpaw.co.uk
Sat Sep 18 08:00:02 UTC 2021

On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 11:56:37AM +0900, Michael Turner wrote:
> Workflow is a metaphor at one useful level. "Programmable semicolon"
> is a metaphor at another useful level.
[...]
> "Workflow" helped me. And now "programmable semicolon" is helping a
> little, in another way.

What troubles me about "workflow" and "programmable semicolon" is the
question of whether they also apply to Arrow[1].

* If they do, then in what sense can "workflow" and "programmable
  semicolon" said to help with understanding of *Monad*?

* If they don't, then why not?  I don't see it.

One possible answer is that they do, but those descriptions are only
intended to improve understanding about purpose not about technical
details (I think this is what Michael is suggesting).

Tom

[1] https://www.stackage.org/haddock/lts-17.7/base-4.14.1.0/Control-Arrow.html