[Haskell-cafe] Haskell's "historical futurism" needs better writing, not better tools

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 05:15:28 UTC 2021

I might have missed your link to "Monoid" because my attention fell on
"monoid mappend". Sorry for that.

"The contribution of each element to the final result is combined with an
   accumulator via an /operator/ function.  The operator may be explicitly
   provided by the caller as in `foldr` or may be implicit as in `length`. In
   the case of `foldMap`, the caller provides a function mapping each element
   into a suitable 'Monoid', which makes it possible to merge the per-element
   contributions via that monoid's `mappend` function."

This is a little better, but I'd write it this way, I think.

"Folds take operators as arguments. In some cases, it's implicit, as
in the function "length". These operators are applied to elements when
lazy evaluation requires it, with a fold 'accumulator' as one of the
operands. 'foldMap' uses a function (implicit? explicit?) that maps
elements into . . . ."

And this is where I bog down, because I don't know what makes a monoid
'suitable' or even really what a monoid is -- it's been a long time
(25 years or so) since my last abstract algebra course.

I don't doubt that you're doing something good here. It's just that
I'm frustrated about what's in the way of benefitting from it. I
gather that there's something about the algebraic properties of folds
that makes some code easier to write and understand, once you have the
underlying concepts fully understood. My biggest problem is probably
out of scope for what you're working on: I need motivating examples.
I've used folds in other programming languages. But how they can be
algebraically leveraged is still beyond me. I still remember
installing a Haskell command-line parser for my project code and
marveling that "semigroup" was one of its dependencies.

My main concern is whether I can use Haskell for a natural-language
processing project. Here, I started on a long Haskell primer for
linguists, in case I leave any useful code behind that linguists might
need to maintain. But also, I sometimes find that understanding comes
from writing. Did I write it clearly? If not, is it because I don't
really understand it? If I don't, writing tells me where I need to dig
deeper.

"Haskell in Plain English: A Primer for the Lexical Semanticist"
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GIDWMbFBAaOZc-jxOu1Majt6UNzCpg4vxMGeydb421M/edit

In that piece (no, don't read it if you're not interested in
linguistics), I remark that the algebraic facet of Haskell practice
may not be very useful for natural language parsing and understanding.
The truth is: I'd prefer to be proven wrong about that. This area is
so hard, we need all the good tools we can get. IF abstract algebra
could be useful for this application, I want it.

Regards,
Michael Turner
Executive Director
Project Persephone
1-25-33 Takadanobaba
Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 169-0075
Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
turner at projectpersephone.org

Understand - http://www.projectpersephone.org/
Join - http://www.facebook.com/groups/ProjectPersephone/
Donate - http://www.patreon.com/ProjectPersephone
Volunteer - https://github.com/ProjectPersephone

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry