[Haskell-cafe] Haskell reference documentation, laws first or laws last?

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Fri Sep 17 01:25:17 UTC 2021

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 09:14:19PM -0400, David Feuer wrote:

> I'm not talking about whether they're first or last. They're currently not
> part of the class documentation *at all*. They're only in the
> Data.Traversable documentation.

I see, I think you're noting that when re-exported from Prelude, the
class definitions of Foldable and Traversable that appear in the
Prelude module:

    https://hackage.haskell.org/package/base-4.15.0.0/docs/Prelude.html#g:11

no longer include the laws, you have to look at the underlying module
to find them.  If that's the issue, I should note that the re-exported
class definitions do have overview hyperlinks:

    A more detailed description can be found in the overview section of
    [Data.Foldable](https://hackage.haskell.org/package/base-4.15.0.0/docs/Data-Foldable.html#overview)

    A more detailed description can be found in the overview section of
    [Data.Traversable](https://hackage.haskell.org/package/base-4.15.0.0/docs/Data-Traversable.html#overview)

Would your issue be addressed if links to the laws were similarly linked
from the class definitions?

--
    Viktor.