[Haskell-cafe] Comment on "The Historical Futurism of Haskell" by Andrew Boardman

Anton Antich anton.antich at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 13:47:51 UTC 2021

I love Haskell, as probably anybody who has finally understood “how to cook it”. Took me 3 attempts to really get it though - and my experience is quite similar to a lot of developers with imperative background. I’ve worked with large teams of developers both in the enterprise environment as well as in some 20 startups I’ve invested into. I’ve tried to push haskell on all of them, half-seriously, to try to understand why wouldn’t they use it?

I would say the most popular reason by far is - very steep learning curve for any imperative programmer.

Not the libraries (even if we could use more for some specific domains), not the tooling (even though I can envision an IDE for Haskell that would make development experience such a delight - imagine visualizing monad transformer stacks and function composition with types?!), not that GUI sucks (we really need a good GUI library) - but difficulty learning the concepts to become proficient.

Somewhat arrogant approach of the libraries authors to the documentation - the whole “type signature *is* documentation” - doesn’t help either.

So, again, I love Haskell, went a difficult road understanding how it should be taught by mastering it myself, which actually lead me to writing a book on teaching Haskell from the first principles, focusing on types, but gently and in pictures so that it’s accessible - https://leanpub.com/magicalhaskell - for which id love feedback by the way :)

But we need to teach FP much better in CS schools - there are a zillion courses on Python and how Many on Haskell? We have to write more tutorials and much friendlier documentation. We have to explain real world patterns much better and with more examples - normally all Haskell docs and even examples are way too abstract, which is solid science but doesn’t help for the mass adoption. And then, yes, we need libraries and tooling.

Best wishes,
- A.