[Haskell-cafe] Massaging data from the `extensible` package

Fumiaki Kinoshita fumiexcel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 07:13:04 UTC 2021

By design, extensible does not provide combinators that change the set of
field names (aside from cons and append). Such combinators can easily be
abused and make the code difficult to reason about.

Matrix multiplication is one reasonable way to define a dimension-changing
transformation. This example demonstrates a function that changes the field
from Int to Bool.
runMatrix requires the resulting record to be a Monoid, but it can
trivially be provided by changing the wrapper type from Identity to First.

```
 {-# LANGUAGE TypeOperators, PolyKinds, FlexibleContexts, DataKinds #-}

 import Data.Extensible
 import Data.Monoid

 newtype Row g h xs c = Row { unRow :: Comp ((->) (g c)) h :* xs }

 runMatrix :: Monoid (h :* ys) => Row g h ys :* xs -> g :* xs -> h :* ys
 runMatrix mat r = hfoldMap getConst
   $ hzipWith (\x (Row y) -> Const $ hmap (\(Comp f) -> f x) y) r mat

isEven :: First :* '[Int] -> First :* '[Bool]
isEven = runMatrix
   $ Row (Comp (fmap (==0)) <: nil)
   <: nil
```