[Haskell-cafe] list of range

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Oct 4 16:42:14 UTC 2021

On Mon, 4 Oct 2021, PICCA Frederic-Emmanuel wrote:

>> Set Int is not lazy. [Int] is lazy, but it is inefficient for eliminating
>> duplicates. IntSet is also strict, but internally it is almost a bit
>> vector, i.e. storage efficient. If the ranges are really large, then you
>> might need data-interval&friends. However, a list of numbers of image
>> files might not be that large, and IntSet will probably be a good choice.
>
> We have 100 files with 3000 images.
>
> 300000 * 4 bytes = 1.2 M
>
> is it that big ?

I am afraid, I still do not understand where you need the list of Ranges.
In the original post you said, you want to parse a list of ranges like the
one for pages to print in a printer dialog. Is it to select files from the
100 ones or is it to select images from the 300,000 ones? In the first
case I would use IntMap, in the latter case I would use Interval data
structures.