[Haskell-cafe] Haskell's "historical futurism" needs better writing, not better tools

Anthony Clayden anthony.d.clayden at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 07:27:15 UTC 2021

> Switching subtopics to the "Chirality" section, ...

I take Ben's point (with which I agree) to be that "Chirality" is an even
more obscure word than "Endomorphism". (Except perhaps in the realm of
subatomic particle physics.)

Grokking this material is hard enough without having to reach for a
dictionary. If you mean 'left-biased' vs 'right-biased', or 'from-front' vs
'from-rear' or 'Cons-oriented' vs 'Snoc-oriented', say that. (And I'll be
interested to see how anyone explains this without `fromList` jigging their
elbow.)

Now I can see Foldable structures are abstract, not spatial. But Cons is
recursive on its (textually) right operand, whereas `Bin` or `Node` are
symmetric between their (textually) left/right recursive operands. I
guessed that's what the Chirality section was talking about, so I skimmed
the first sentence and skipped on.