[Haskell-cafe] ghci's choice of names for type variables

Richard Eisenberg lists at richarde.dev
Mon Nov 1 20:48:17 UTC 2021

Joachim is right that, when you use a function that's already defined somewhere, GHC will use its choice of type variable names. That explains all the 'a's you observe. As for the others, `t` is GHC's letter of choice most of the time, and it's hard to predict (even for me, with pretty deep knowledge of the type checker) when it will use `p`.

Bottom line: don't think about this too much -- there's not much of a signal in the noise. :)

Richard