[Haskell-cafe] German live interview about experiences with functional programming, today 12:00

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Nov 1 17:57:47 UTC 2021

On Mon, 1 Nov 2021, Johannes Waldmann wrote:

> On 10/29/21 09:14, Henning Thielemann wrote:
>
>> https://www.heise.de/news/software-architektur-tv-Funktionale-Programmierung-in-der-Praxis-6228851.html
>
> possibly interesting - is there a transcript?
>
> I'm not going to watch what looks like
> one hour of three people sitting on chairs.

The summary is: The woman uses Clojure, the man uses Scala. He likes
writing type signatures first, then filling in the implementation. She
likes experimenting with running code, instead. Then they talk about
didactics. Is functional code easier or harder to understand than
imperative one? Is it better to learn functional programming first or is
it better to switch from imperative programming? He says that switching
from Java to Scala did not make him switch to functional style really,
instead he only got the essence of functional programming by playing with
Haskell. She advises to start learning functional programming with Project
Euler. He adds that one must implement real world projects sooner or
later, because with small examples you cannot really judge the value of a
programming language.

The most interesting fact for the viewers is certainly, that there are
real people who use functional programming to solve real problems.