[Haskell-cafe] Is there some tool for inferring wide dependency ranges?

Askar Safin safinaskar at mail.ru
Thu May 27 13:07:39 UTC 2021

Hi. Is there some tool for inferring dependency ranges for my cabal packages? I know about "cabal gen-bounds", but this command gives too short ranges. I want to get as wide range as possible. I. e. I want tool, which tries to build and test my package on various versions of dependencies, and reports resulting range. Successful testing should mean that the version of dependency is compatible. That tool should work also on "base" package, this means that it should test various ghc versions, too.

If there is no such tool, then at least I want some tool, which will check already specified dependency range. Such tool should do this:
- Extract dependencies from cabal file
- Install smallest versions of specified dependencies (this will include "base" and thus ghc)
- Test on this versions
- Install largest versions
- Test on this versions

I will put invocation of such tool to continuous integration.

I hope there are a lot of package maintainers here. How do you manage dependencies?

==
Askar Safin
http://safinaskar.com
https://sr.ht/~safinaskar