[Haskell-cafe] Does Haskell have this SML syntax?

Galaxy Being borgauf at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 04:34:58 UTC 2021

I saw this in *The Little MLer*, a book on SML

datatype 'a list = Empty | Cons of 'a * 'a list

fun subst_c (pred)
    = fn (n,Empty) => Empty
         | (n,Cons(e,t)) => if pred (e)
                            then Cons (n,subst_c (pred) (n,t))
                            else Cons (e,subst_c (pred) (n,t))

The data type is just a homemade list, and the function subst_c takes a
predicate ('a -> Bool) and determines whether an incoming list's elements
pass or fail. What is interesting is the fn ... => ... part which takes in
more parameters, namely an 'a and an 'a list. Technically this fn... is an
anonymous, nameless function, and it seems bizarre to me that it's nested
inside the named function but still taking in parameters as if it were at
the top level. Here's a previous version showing all three parameters at
the top level

fun subst_c (pred) (n,Empty) = Empty

The purpose of the first function was to demonstrate currying. IOW, what
the second unnamed function is doing behind the scenes can be broken down
to two-stages (currying) of the first with named, then unnamed functions.
So my question is, is there anything like this in Haskell where a function
inside a function -- named or anonymous -- can take incoming parameters as
if it were top level?

LB