[Haskell-cafe] Package Takeover: `toml`

Emily Pillmore emilypi at cohomolo.gy
Fri Mar 12 18:29:15 UTC 2021

Fwiw, I agree with the notion that "belonging to the community" is tricky, and entitled to a certain degree. That being said (and this might be where there is confusion in terms of what everyone believes or doesn't believe surround the subject), I think a diversity of projects that answer a particular need is better than a single monolithic choice.

For example, I also work on the `waargonaut` series of libraries which offer an alternative solution to JSON in contrast to `aeson`: a succinct zipper-based approach to parsing which is faster in some cases than the one used in `aeson`, and the controversial stance that deriving JSON schema is an anti-pattern. And despite there being contention in that last point, the succinct-zipper approach has led many to choose it for streaming JSON, and we've been able to POC improvements to the `aeson` parser based on things we've done in `waargonaut`. By no means will `waargonaut` ever be the blessed choice, but it is still useful and valuable just for existing and trying something different.

So in my mind, at least, competition is friendly and doesn't dilute any particular market share if it's significantly different. At the very least, I'd like to at least not have `toml` in its current state appear as a viable candidate in the list of hackage packages without being more up to date and presenting a sound choice, if not the most ideal. And i'm perfectly happy with saying "Hey, Tom got here first, c'est la vie" and helping him renovate the library if he's just looking at modernizing the existing code! This doesn't really entail kicking anyone out or blessing any package in particular. It's more janitorial to me.

- E