[Haskell-cafe] Using stack outside the project box

Immanuel Litzroth immanuel.litzroth at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 23:22:21 UTC 2021

I like org-babel and I like haskell, but getting org babel to work with compiled
languages showed a big impedance mismatch. I ended up writing my own tangler
(reusing many parts of org) for reasons I document in the readme of the repo.
Unfortunately I the repo is not public and I don't have much time to
work on it for
the next month or so
>> README
Simple tangling for org buffers
Reason
I like org and org-babel but they have some problems with compiled languages.

Not possible to tangle all code going to a specified file
Not possible to add line directives without major surgery
Not all modes do the correct thing
No way to prevent overwriting an unchanged file
Special casing e.g. Don’t tangle to a file called ‘no’.
:prologue and :epilogue are not honoured by all modes
Try this

#+ BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :prologue "hello" :epilogue "goodbye" :tangle ex1.el
(+ 1 2)
#+ END_SRC

#+ BEGIN_SRC haskell :tangle ex1.hs :prologue "hello" :epilogue "goodbye"
hey
#+ END_SRC

hey

#+HEADER: :tangle ex1.cpp
#+ BEGIN_SRC cpp :prologue "hello" :epilogue "goodbye"
main()
{}
#+ END_SRC

#+ BEGIN_SRC bash :tangle ex1.bash :prologue "hello" :epilogue "goodbye"
aha
#+ END_SRC
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t.

Prologue and epilogue are written after and before the links respectively
Quite annoying if you’d like all your emacs code have a

;;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-

header. Although you can specify :lexical t as a header argument, it’s
not written in the tangled code.

Simple tangling
Write a simple tangler that is mostly compatible with org mode and
reuses it’s functionality. The basic idea is to tangle the code with a
hashmap holding callbacks for the languages you are interested in.
These callbacks happen at

start and end of tangling to a file
start and end of tangling a block
start and end of tangling a noweb reference
and are called in the context of the buffer you are tangling to.

No language support required by the core tangle
Tangling in org requires the mode of the language to be available.
This can be a problem when batch tangling – you don’t want batch emacs
to go through your complete emacs init file then.

Flexible decisions
You get full control over what is happening:

Tangling doesn’t need to write the buffer, it can e.g. choose to send
it to a program.
You get information about the complete tangling context e.g. a noweb
expansion will know all the parent blocks it is expanded from.
Reuse as much of the org machinery as possible
To ensure grosso modo compatibility with org, the org mode calls are reused.

The rules
Only blocks with :tangle header args are tangled
Noweb is enabled by default with but you can configure it via the org
way – org-babel-noweb-wrap-start and org-babel-noweb-wrap-end
Do minimal work outside the callbacks, the tangled buffer is not even
written to a file unless you request it.

Immanuel

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 1:00 AM Jeff Clites via Haskell-Cafe
<haskell-cafe at haskell.org> wrote:

> [...]
>

> On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 7:10 PM Travis Cardwell <travis.cardwell at extrema.is> wrote:
>>
>> The Stack configuration that is used outside of projects is stored in
>> the following location:
>>
>>     ~/.stack/global-project/stack.yaml
>>
>> This configuration file is used when you run `stack ghci` outside of a
>> project.  Such project configuration files can specify the Stackage
>> snapshot to be used (`resolver`), any packages that should be used that
>> are different from or not in the specified Stackage snapshot
>> (`extra-deps`), a list of packages that are being developed (`packages`,
>> none by default in the "global project"), as well as some other settings
>> documented at the following location.
>>
>> https://docs.haskellstack.org/en/stable/yaml_configuration/
>>
>> Such a project configuration file determines what packages are
>> *available* for use.  The motivation is to provide an environment where
>> all of the available packages work together, saving you from having to
>> deal with dependency conflicts.  It does not *expose* packages to the
>> compiler or REPL.  Packages are usually exposed by specifying them in a
>> `.cabal` file (or `package.yaml` file when using hpack).
>>
>> In my experience, the `~/.stack/global-project/stack.yaml` configuration
>> is most often used when installing executables using Stack.  For example,
>> one can install the version of `hlint` that is in the Stackage snapshot
>> configured in the configuration file as follows:
>>
>>     stack install hlint
>>
>> What you would like to do is not normal usage of Stack, but I understand
>> your motivation.  It is possible to do what you want by configuring a
>> global project with the packages that you would like to make available.
>> First, create file `~/.stack/global-project/global-project.cabal` with
>> the following content:
>>
>>     name:           global-project
>>     version:        0.0.0.0
>>     cabal-version:  1.24
>>     build-type:     Simple
>>
>>     library
>>       build-depends:
>>           base
>>         , safe
>>       default-language: Haskell2010
>>
>> Add any packages that you would like to expose to the `build-depends`
>> list.  Next, configure `~/.stack/global-project/stack.yaml` as follows:
>>
>>     resolver: lts-17.14
>>
>>     packages:
>>       - .
>>
>> Update the `resolver` configuration whenever you want to change Stackage
>> snapshots.  Note that you will need to add `extra-deps` configuration to
>> this file if you ever want to expose a package that is not in the
>> configured snapshot, in addition to adding it to the `build-depends`
>> list.
>>
>> With this configuration, the listed packages should be exposed when you

-- Researching the dual problem of finding the function that has a
given point as fixpoint.