[Haskell-cafe] Haskell books index with RSS

Travis Cardwell travis.cardwell at extrema.is
Tue Jul 13 23:29:22 UTC 2021

Hi Artem,

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 4:43 AM Artem Pelenitsyn wrote:
> Cool idea!

Thanks!

> Just curious, what does the free tag means? Given that I see it, say,
> on Haskell in Depth, it's not free as in free beer, I gather.

There were a lot of non-obvious design decisions to make in order to
organize the Haskell books content, and this is one of them.  I ended up
using the "free" tag for all books that can be read in full without
cost, including those that can only be read for free online.

The "Haskell in Depth" book can be read from the publisher page:

    https://www.manning.com/books/haskell-in-depth

I see the following in the left column on that page:

    FREE  You can see this entire book for free.  Click the table of
    contents to start reading.

Clicking that takes you to the table of contents, a little bit further
down the page. Clicking on any of the chapter or section titles opens
the book in a modal interface.

I still think that this usage is the best of the possibilities that I
have thought of, but it can indeed be puzzling.  Sorry about that!

If you would like to see the meaning of any other tags, I explicitly
define them on the meta page:

    https://www.extrema.is/articles/haskell-books/meta#tags

Cheers,

Travis